Back to forum list Welcome GuestLogin / Register (You must be registered to use this forum)
Rural 4G vs the superhighway
Again a crowing news story about extending 4G to rural Lincolnshire and how along with satellite and how this could help isolated rural locations get broadband.
I thought the whole idea of this project to provide the 'superhighway' using taxpayers money to rural areas at similar tariffs paid by users in urban areas where it would not be ordinarily viable for a provider to install.
4G is not a low cost solution for those wishing to use PCs, smart TVs, and streamed content in remoter regions. What appear to be happening is the conurbations seem to be having subsidised superfast broadband (which would have been commercially viable for a provider (BT) to build anyway) while the rural areas are being looked over and promised speeds that were available in the towns five years ago and only a fraction of what they get today.
Loads of public money can be spent on the easy fix of providing the 'superhighway' to urban areas and the box ticked for 90% of the population covered. Whereas it would be better to concentrate on the difficult 10% because in doing that the remaining 90% will get the solution anyway.
I suppose it is down to whether the whole exercise is about proving affordable broadband to rural areas or just hitting targets.
We thought the news story about 4G to be quite interesting but you are free to disagree. I think it is worth pointing out that the experiences from other parts of the country suggest that 4G is providing some exceptional speeds and I understand that EE will make it available in Lincoln by the end of the year. I assume the project you are referring to is the current Onlincolnshire rollout project in partnership with the District Councils in Lincolnshire and BT. Without this project it is quite conceivable that the number of properties that could access Superfast Broadband (SFB) would be little more than 50% by 2016. The Onlincolnshire intervention will see that figure rise to at least 88%, and we are hopeful that further funding will see that rise to 95% by 2017. The last 5% will almost certainly be the most expensive and therefore I think it is very good use of taxpayers money to look at every technology to enable that final 5% to have access to better broadband.
Yes, I was referring to the Onlincolnshire rollout project is that not your Raison d'Ãªtre?
4G is principally a mobile/smart phone solution and I am not sure many would like to use it for their home PCs, smart TV and game machines bearing in mind the cost of the cost of data usage of this service.
Yes all means have to be considered for the 'remaining 5%', but the solution has to be affordable for them to use and using iPlayer etc to stream a HD program over 4G won't be affordable.
4G via EE is now live south of Lincoln (Waddington, Navenby etc), but not in the city itself.